Thursday 15 January 2015

Yer a Writer, Harry!

Thursday 15 January 2015
I don't really know when I started writing; I've been making up stories since before I can remember. This is my mother's doing, I think. My mum has always understood and encouraged my desire to question and imagine. Because of what she's done for me, from reading me stories every night and teaching me to read when I was young, to giving me sound and truthful advice on my own writing now, I've always had an outlet for my creativity. If she hadn't been so supportive, I probably wouldn't have found the great love of my life.

In addition to my mother's influence, there was one teacher I had while I was at school whose help I have found to be invaluable. She wasn't my favourite teacher, but she really believed in my writing abilities at a time when my confidence was faltering. She always encouraged me in my writing and helped me rediscover my passion. I'm truly grateful to both of these women.


The Harry Potter books and films also played a pivotal role in my love of writing. I longed to go away to Hogwarts and study magic. As you can imagine, not being able to attend a fictional school to study fictional subjects with fictional people was heartbreaking. Nevertheless, I found - and still do find - the series to be incredibly inspiring. I remember going to see the first film at a cinema on Christmas Eve with my dad when I was five years old. I was amazed. It was the first time that I fully immersed myself in a fictional world. I grew up with the films, and while it was a long time before I got around to reading the books, I loved them just as much. They've shaped the way I see the world.


I can't write about my writing journey without including my time on a certain writing site. If my imagination and love for writing was Harry Potter, Inkpop was my Hogwarts and the other members my Dumbledore. I learned so much about writing and myself because of Inkpop its inkies. I became confident in my writing, found the kinds of stories and characters I'm good at writing about, and for the first time in my life, had friends who understood and shared my passion. I also found my love for critiquing and editing on Inkpop. I'm now at university, studying English Literature and English Language to work towards being an editor - without the site or the help of my fellow inkies, I might not have discovered this wonderful path I'm now following.


Right now, I'm continuing the novel I started during NaNoWriMo 2014. It's a currently untitled action-adventure about alien zombies (yeah, I know); writing this kind of story is very far out of my comfort zone, but I'm enjoying the adventure so much. I'm also just about to start a creative writing workshop in my uni, which I'm sure I'm going to enjoy and learn a lot from. While I've been writing for a long time there's still so much I can learn, and I find that incredibly exciting.



Larisa





No comments:

Post a Comment